Written Assignment: Ageism in healthcare
Aim: The aim of this assignment is for you to demonstrate an understanding of ageism in healthcare by analysing the impact of ageism on the delivery of nursing care for older people.
Explore the scholarly literature, published between 2010- 2016 inclusive, to critically analyse the impact of ageism in healthcare. Your critical analysis must include the impact of a registered nurse’s ageist behaviour on the older patient, the nursing care of the older patient and the impact on colleagues in the health care team.
In this task you are required to do the following:
1) Define ageism and contextualise it to the health care of an older person.
2) Discuss theories and principles that are relevant to ageism, nursing care and the health care environment.
3) Critically analyse the impact of a registered nurse’s ageist behaviour on
• an older patient in their care
• the safety and quality of the nursing care of an older patient in their care
• colleagues from the health care team
4) Identify and explain two strategies that are effective in addressing ageism in health care.
5) Support your critical analysis with a minimum of 15 scholarly articles.
• Always refer to the School of Nursing & Midwifery Writing and Referencing Guide.
• Ensure that you use scholarly literature (digitised readings, research articles, relevant Government reports and text books) that has been published within the last 5 years.
• Provide a clear introduction and conclusion to your paper.
• Please do not use headings in this assignment task.
• Write in the third person and use academic language throughout.
• Refer to the marking criteria when writing your assignment. This will assist you in calculating the weightings of the sections for your assignment.