Read the case study below and provide a recommendation to assist Albert Johnson, director of compensation at Elite Financial Services, in effectively addressing the rapidly increasing health care expenses and reduce the overuse of health benefits. Be sure to follow APA guidelines and write your paper in the proper format (not as question and answer).
As Albert Johnson, Director of Compensation at Elite Financial Services, examines the
annual budget, he is concerned about the rising cost of the healthcare insurance the company
provides to its employees. In response to some recent challenges in the marketplace, Elites
CEO has sent out the directive to cut costs wherever possible. The companys healthcare
insurance benefit accounts for more than one third of the overall benefits budget and Albert
thinks that there may be some opportunity for savings.
Elite Financial Services provides financial planning support to a variety of clients.
Unlike many of their competitors, Elite provides healthcare insurance to all of their Financial
Planners and also to the entire administrative staff. The company provides a basic fee-for
service indemnity plan for its 275 employees. The company also provides vision and dental
insurance. About 60 of the employees have single coverage, 75 cover themselves and their
spouse and the remaining employees have full family coverage.
Over the past ten years, Elite has had to compete with other leaders in their industry for
talented Financial Planners. As a result, the companys priority in the past has been to make the
company benefit program as attractive as possible to current and future employees. Pay for
Financial Planners is based primarily upon incentives and therefore, offering a generous benefit
program allowed Elite to attract and retain top Financial Planners. However, Albert is aware that
several competitors are seeking to reduce healthcare insurance program costs as well, and
therefore making changes should not hurt their position in the market.
In an attempt to keep the costs low for the employees, the plan deductibles and
coinsurance are relatively low. These factors have led to fairly high premiums and Elite currently pays 90% of the premiums for all of their insurance offerings, leaving just 10% for the
employees to contribute to the premium. Finally, Elite has done very little in the past to manage
the cost of their healthcare insurance benefit. For example, their experience ratings have
impacted the companys premiums as employees have high usage rates of their benefits. Albert
is certain there are many opportunities to cut costs, he just has to decide where to begin.