- Answer three of the following questions completely (A, B, C, D, or E),
using excellent grammar and spell checking. “F” is required, so complete this as well.
- All work must be your own,
- Most answers will require more than one and less than two typed pages – include appropriate detail for full credit.
- Twenty points total, each question is worth 5 points.
- Upload an electronic copy of your work to the drop box
- Describe how data is transmitted using Amplitude Modulation
- Describe how data is transmitted using Frequency Modulation
- Make a table to describe environments that you would recommend for the following type of Layer One media, and why that specific type is preferred:
- Wireless WAN
- Wireless LAN
- CAT5 or CAT6 cable
- Single-mode Fiber-optic Cable
- Multi-mode Fiber-optic cable.
Using troubleshooting tools IPCONFIG, PING and TraceRT from a DOS command prompt, show the current configuration and network connections of your computer.
- Use edu as the destination
- Paste the information into your answer using Screenprint, Select All/Copy/Paste, Snipit or SnagIT tools.
- Describe in detail for each of the tools what a helpdesk or network analyst would use in your display to identify and troubleshoot issues with your computer or connection.
Data Transmission: Error Correction and Multiplexing
- Draw how a series of FOUR separate messages would be successfully sent from one computer to another using ARQ if:
- the first message was transmitted without error
- the second message was initially transmitted with an error, which was then corrected
- the third message was initially lost, but then corrected
- the ACK for the fourth message was initially lost, but then corrected.
- Use Visio or PowerPoint format
There are several types of Multiplexing. Describe in DETAIL:
- What distinguishes Frequency Division Multiplexing?
- What distinguishes Time Division Multiplexing?
- What distinguishes Wave Division Multiplexing?
Local and Wide Area Networks
- Name and describe completely three functions of a traditional modem (NOT a cable modem) used in a WAN.
- Token Ring and Ethernet were the primary technologies for LANs until the late early part of this century. Completely describe two pros and two cons for each in a table.
Layer Two and File Transfer
- Layer Two: controls access and handles errors.
- Describe three access control methodologies.
- Describe the techniques in Layer 2 that Prevent errors.
- Describe the methods in Layer 2 that Control errors.
- Describe three Layer 2 Error Detection methods
- You have downloaded a number of Word and PowerPoint files from D2L. Assuming that the next file you will download is 3.4Mb, how long would it take using the following circuits? Also assume that control characters and management overhead adds a total of an extra 10% to the message.
- Dialup modem at 33.6 Kbps
- Cable modem at 384 Kbps
- T-1 line at 1.5 Mbps
Show your work using a spreadsheet and graph the results using a bar graph format.
Create an MS table for the OSI protocol stack listing:
- Layer Number
- Layer Name
- Layer Functions in detail
- Layer Sample Protocol(s)
- Layer Name for its “chunk of data” if applicable